Board Member, South Carolina Cancer Alliance
The South Carolina Cancer Alliance’s mission is to reduce the impact of cancer on ALL people in South Carolina.
The South Carolina Cancer Alliance is seeking a new member of it’s Board of Directors. We take our governance responsibility seriously and select nominees to the Board who have proven leadership ability in their professional life and their community/civic involvement. We also seek individuals who are promising or emerging leaders in the professions or communities.
Our Board of Directors aspires to excellence in governing. Among the attributes we seek in prospective Alliance Board members are the following:
- Passion for our mission
- Willingness to learn and adhere closely to our Bylaws and our Governing Policies
- Ability to set aside your own personal/professional/organizational interests and deliberate and vote for what is in the best interests of the Alliance
- Leadership ability that could result in you one day becoming our Board Chair
- Ability to connect meaningfully with our stakeholders and be an effective ambassador for Alliance
- Critical thinking skills and strategic “big picture” orientation
- Ability to translate group values into written policies
- Capacity to dissent but accept and support the decision of the majority
- Discipline, diligence, preparation, attention, participation
- Previous Board experience is not needed!
We are particularly interested in individuals with the following the professional and occupational backgrounds at this time: CPA, attorney, faith leader, HR management professional, foundation executive, elected official, or marketing/PR professional.
New Board members are elected by the membership. Terms of office are two years, with the possibility of re-election to two additional terms. The Board typically meets five times per year with meetings usually lasting about an hour. A minimum of one Board meeting per year is face-to-face; the rest are by conference call.
Specific responsibilities of Board members individually include the following:
- Meeting attendance (must attend at least 75% of the Board meetings each year)
- Review of Board meeting materials provided in advance
- Annual personal financial contribution
- Open doors to potential new funders and donors
- Service on at least one committee or project
- Prompt review/response to emails concerning Board and executive matters
- Attendance at least one event per year
Individuals interested in serving on the Alliance Board are required to complete the attached Prospective Alliance Board Member Interest Form and return it to Henry Well, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon receipt of the form, you will receive an email to confirm receipt and we will add you to the pool of potential candidates for future consideration. If and when there is an opening on our Board that necessitates someone with your background and experience, we will contact you to schedule an interview.
Open Rank Faculty Position in Advertising, School of Journalism and Mass Communications
The School of Journalism and Mass Communications invites applications for a tenure-track open-rank faculty position in Advertising. For this position, we seek candidates with expertise in creative strategy with skills in using big/little data, analytics and social media to develop strategic advertising campaigns. A solid understanding of the industry’s digital ecosystem will be required. This position is at the intersection of data and the execution of creative strategies.
The School continues a trajectory toward preeminence in teaching and research addressing “data, media and society.” Over the next two years, we plan to hire up to six new faculty, primarily in the areas of big data, media analytics, cybersecurity, artificial intelligence (AI) and data storytelling.
The successful candidate for this position will develop and teach a course based on using data and analytics to mine insights for creative strategy in advertising campaigns, and also teach either creative strategy, advertising principles, account planning or advertising campaigns. The successful candidate will choose between the professional tenure-track or academic tenure-track. Applicants must either hold a doctoral degree in mass communications or a related field by the start date of employment (ABDs considered), or have a master’s degree and is expected to have 10 or more years of national/global industry experience in advertising.
Candidates will be expected to make meaningful contributions to advertising scholarship or creative activity in their area of expertise, mentor graduate students, and teach graduate- and undergraduate-level courses in advertising. The successful candidate must have evidence of, or promise of, research emphasizing the theories and methods of data or show evidence of the ability to conduct creative activity with data in advertising.
Our diverse, engaged faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment within the school. In addition, a rich potential for collaborative and interdisciplinary connections in big data and artificial intelligence exists across the university. The university’s new Institute for Artificial Intelligence lists more than 45 faculty members already engaged in some form of AI research; these researchers hail from journalism and mass communications, library and information science, education, social work, public health, engineering and computing.
The College of Information and Communications
The College of Information and Communications is home to two nationally recognized schools, the School of Journalism and Mass Communications and the School of Library and Information Science. The college provides outstanding teaching, research and community outreach. As such, it is one of only a few universities to combine its communications and information science programs, two rapidly evolving — and converging — fields united by a shared belief that information accessibility is the cornerstone of self-governance. The College has approximately 1,800 undergraduates, 400 graduate students, and more than 100 faculty and staff members. New assets available to faculty and students in both schools include: the Social Media Insights Lab and the Biometric and User Experience Lab. Both are designed to facilitate the study of issues related to data, media and their impact on society.
The University of South Carolina
The University of South Carolina in Columbia is the major research institution of the University of South Carolina system and its largest campus, enrolling approximately 35,000 students. The university offers over 320 degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral and professional program levels. Founded in 1801, it is among America’s oldest and most comprehensive public universities and is one of only 32 public universities to earn the Carnegie Foundation’s top-tier designations in both research activity and community engagement. South Carolina’s capital city is currently undergoing a number of urban revitalization projects and offers residents a growing range of artistic, cultural and recreational opportunities.
The University of South Carolina is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.
All applicants must fill out an online application at USC Jobs: http://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/68021. Candidates should be prepared to upload a CV, letter of application, personal statement, names, phone numbers, and email addresses of letter writers, and any additional materials that demonstrate educational and academic experience. Letter writers should provide signed letters on letterhead addressed to the Advertising Faculty Search. All application materials must be received no later than December 1, 2019. For more information about this position, please contact Advertising Search Committee Chair Kenneth Campbell (email@example.com).
Communications Manager, United Way of the Midlands
This position assists the Vice President for Marketing & Communications in administration, coordination, creation and implementation of all elements of the marketing, public relations and advertising functions of the United Way of the Midlands. This position will be responsible for managing United Way’s online presence and media relations among other duties.
For more information, visit here.
Graphic Design Intern, SC Education Lottery
Reporting to the Graphic Specialist, the Graphic Design Intern is responsible for assisting the Marketing Department in the fulfillment of advertising and design needs for the South Carolina Education Lottery (SCEL).
This includes designing, developing and presenting internal and external print materials, such as point of purchase, sales collateral and digital assets for the South Carolina Education Lottery (SCEL).
This position is at-will and is not covered by the South Carolina Employee Grievance Procedure Act.
For more information and to apply, visit here.
Director of Marketing, Experience Columbia SC
Director of Marketing
Experience Columbia SC is in search of a Director of Marketing to develop, implement, and manage marketing projects and programs that promote the Columbia area to visitors enhancing positive economic impact on the region. Candidates should have experience in website management, digital strategy, content marketing, social media marketing, community relations, advertising, and brand management. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. Experience in destination marketing or a similar field is preferred. Candidates must have a passion for the Columbia SC region or a strong desire to learn about our region to provide travel inspiration to potential visitors. Please visit https://www.experiencecolumbiasc.com/about/careers/ to apply!
Website Management, Design, Strategy & Database
- Manage ECSC websites, including experiencecolumbiasc.com, columbiascsports.com and columbiaconventioncenter.com as well as coolpasstickets.com and culturepasstickets.com.
- Manage website content, including 1200+ listings and events with support from the Partnership Manager and other designated staff.
- Manage website redesigns (reevaluated every 2-4 years), upgrades, and enhancements of websites and databases.
- Serve as primary database and website administrator, with support from individual departments such as partnership, sales and visitors center.
- Create and edit website pages and content through a CMS (content management system) for each organization.
- Develop and manage project-specific websites for major community events.
- Coordinate with ECSC executive director and partnership manager on enhancements of CRM and partner extranet.
- Train staff in using and maintaining CRM and CMS as needed.
- Lead monthly calls with database and web teams.
- Serve as primary manager of web-related projects and systems, such as online advertising sales and an online booking engine.
Social Media, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), & Visual Assets
- Develop and maintain strong web presence through SEO, SEM, and other strategies.
- Monitor and report website traffic and flow through Google Analytics, adjusting website content and marketing accordingly. Present web analytics to the ECSC Board, funding partners, and executive staff
- Maintain a strong social media and web presence through social websites such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, blogs, LinkedIn, Instagram, and other relevant tools as applicable to goals. Supplement with paid promotions as needed.
- Monitor social media trends and manage communities accordingly.
- Serve as primary editor and manager of three ECSC blogs: Leisure Blog, Sports Blog and Convention Center Blog. Assign to staff contributors or coordinate with vendors as needed.
- Oversee video production and photography projects such as promotional videos, television commercials and photo shoots in conjunction with marketing team, relevant departments and vendors.
- Manage digital asset libraries. Update professional media library, review photo and video requests through digital asset management system.
- Manage employee headshot process and ensure photography coverage for any in-house requests.
- Network with community partners at designated functions and through one-on-one meetings as necessary.
- Oversee management of partner listings, calendar of events, photography and logos on CVB website in conjunction with Partnership Manager and Visitors Center to ensure information is current.
- Work closely with area partners to coordinate online promotions for notable events and help determine appropriate marketing outlets per promotion.
- Develop website or microsite content and design for significant events.
- Responsible for coordination and implementation of partner enhancements for Destination Marketing Fee participants, including, but not limited to design of online banner advertising, enhanced listings, and special promotions. Coordinate information and specifications through Partnership Manager.
- Manage ambassador program by working with marketing team to select four locals to serve as ambassadors for ECSC marketing needs. Coordinates with ambassadors on schedules, quarterly dinners and marketing needs. Provides resources and materials for ambassadors to promote Columbia SC on their platforms. Works with Content Specialist and vendors to produce photography, video and website resources for ECSC ambassador promotions.
Presentations, Publications, Promotional Items & Advertising
- Create and execute presentations for community and internal meetings as needed.
- Serve as administrator over CVB sales bid book design and content. Work with ECSC Executive Director to identify and develop content for sales proposals.
- Oversee production of promotional items with assistance from Graphic Design Specialist.
- Assist VP Marketing & Communications with online and print ad approval and placement as needed. Responsible for online placement and design in certain instances, such as Facebook advertising.
- Oversee design of direct mail pieces, flyers, and posters to enhance sales efforts for tradeshows and other events as requested.
- Work with Director of Communications to develop and send monthly community email newsletter to community partners.
- Develop and create HTML emails for partner-specific promotions, events, and leisure or meetings email marketing campaigns.
- Generate consumer email leads through marketing and advertising. Maintain consumer/visitor database of contacts, managing database cleanse in preparation to relaunch of email marketing campaigns targeting leisure travelers. Keep up-to-date on email marketing compliance laws and best practices and see that ECSC’s communication methods are compliant.
- Create email lists and reports that exist in database. Provide instructions to appropriate staff members on list creation for consumer or partner emails as needed.
- Analyze email marketing results used to re-tool future emails.
- Send partner communications for upcoming meetings and announcements.
- Manage survey creation and distribution through Cvent. Train sales staff responsible for online survey event evaluation, distribution, and reporting as needed.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Visionary Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
- Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in the area of marketing, communications, or related field.
- Experience and thorough knowledge of website management, website anayltics and reporting, social media strategy and community management, brand management, online advertising placement, HTML, and search engine optimization (SEO) are required.
- Knowledge of paid search engine marketing (SEM), email marketing, design experience using Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop and Flash are preferred.
- Minimum of two or three years of tourism marketing experience preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
Please visit https://www.experiencecolumbiasc.com/about/careers/ to apply!
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required and the responsibilities of the position may change. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Corporate Communications Coordinator, Farm Bureau Insurance
Farm Bureau Insurance seeks a self-directed, detail-oriented communications professional with two to three years of professional experience promoting a brand through social media channels. The primary area of responsibility will be executing an integrated digital marketing strategy to include developing, managing and measuring the company’s social media marketing campaigns. This position requires researching and understanding insurance topics to develop content across social platforms that reinforces the Farm Bureau Insurance brand’s tone of voice. The successful candidate will have past experience monitoring a brand’s social presence and responding in a timely manner to customer comments and questions submitted through social platforms. This position also works closely with a statewide network of local insurance producers to assist with their local social media marketing campaigns and to assist with the design and approval of local advertising materials. In addition, this position is responsible for coordinating and executing corporate sponsorships and event marketing around the state.
The ideal candidate will take ownership of driving digital marketing success and will possess strong strategic planning and analytical skills. The position requires excellent writing and editing skills, the ability to manage multiple projects while adhering to deadlines, and the ability to collaborate and work well with others. Limited statewide travel will be required. This position reports directly to the Director of Marketing.
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Mass Communications, Advertising, Public Relations, or other job related field.
Required Work Experience
- Two to three years of professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, is required in advertising, graphic design, digital marketing, social media marketing, and corporate sponsorships
- Adobe Creative Suite experience
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Experience using social media platforms in a professional setting, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Demonstrated knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Understanding of web analytics, social media tools and the relationship social media has to other marketing channels
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Email marketing
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply is December 18, 2019.
Farm Bureau Insurance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Designer, University of South Carolina
Do you enjoy the creativity of graphic design and illustration for print, web and a variety of audiences and subjects? The University of South Carolina seeks a graphic designer who enjoys bringing together brand visual and voice, team collaboration, creating solutions for varied audiences and working in an environment that embraces the latest design trends. To learn more or to apply, visit job link.
Post a Job
AAF of the Midlands is more than happy to post job opportunities specific to careers in marketing, advertising and public relations. This service is FREE to members of AAF of the Midlands. For non-members, there is a one-time fee of $25.00 to post the position on our web site.
Please keep job descriptions as specific as possible and include contact name, phone number and e-mail address. If accepting resumes and applications via regular mail, please don’t forget to include your complete mailing address and zip code.
Please email job postings and billing information if needed to our Communications Chair.